Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Inserting a contact lens in a baby's eye

As I mentioned before, Ava had a congenital cataract in her right eye. After the surgery she started wearing a contact in her right eye and patch on the left to strengthen her "bad eye." This is when the everyday struggle began.
Can you imagine putting a contact lens in a baby's eye? Neither could I. There was no way this was happening to me. The ophthalmologist tech showed me how to put it in. I held my baby down, Ava screamed and was fighting it, the tech pried her eye open and was jabbing her eyeball with her fingers so many times; it was painful to watch. She finally got it in and said, "now it's your turn" Oh, hell no. I managed to do it after a few tries and she sent me on my way. It must've been a fluke because when I got home it was not that simple. I don't know who shed more tears, my 8 month old or me. Everyday my husband held her down. Every day I yelled at him because I couldn't get the contact in. I was angry and frustrated with him, myself, people who had perfect babies and God for not giving me a baby with normal eyes. I felt so alone because everyone would tell me things like "It's no big deal, at least your kid doesn't have cancer, it will get better, etc." I didn't want to hear that but essentially, they were right. We finally were able to insert and remove the contact with little struggle. It was still a two person job and my husband would wake us up at 4:30 a.m. before he left for work so he could pin her down and I could pop the lens in. Eventually I got sick of waking up that early and learned to it on my own. The everyday struggle became as routine as brushing our teeth. This is all a distant memory now. She no longer wears a contact, as she got an IOL implant (this is what old people with cataracts usually get and wasn't recommend for kids her age)but the patch on her eye is still a battle, it's more of an annoyance than anything. I will go more into the contact issues, blackout lens and patch issues later.
If you look closely you can see the contact. It looks kind of like a bubble in the middle.
silisoft, baby, contact, bubble, insert

No comments:

Post a Comment